Roasted Eggplant & Buckwheat Salad with Tomato Vinaigrette
This salad is typically Mediterranean - Fresh and delicious! We chose to use Buckwheat, a pseudo grain, for it's high protein content but the salad is just as delicious served with wheat berries or barley.Print
Servings: 4 people
- 1 medium eggplant (aubergine), diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup buckwheat, cooked according to package, and cooled
- 1 cup cooked and rinsed white beans (such as cannelini)
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, diced
- 2 cups mixed green leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled and deseeded
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- In a large bowl toss the eggplant and onion with olive oil and Italian seasoning.
- Pour the vegetables into a roasting dish and roast for 30- 40 minutes or until browned. Stir halfway through the cooking process to ensure even colour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buckwheat according to packet instructions.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggplant with the beans, basil, cucumber and buckwheat.
- Place mixed green leaves on serving platter and top with eggplant mixture.
- For dressing combine all the ingredients, blend well, season and serve with salad.
Note: You can add zucchini and mushrooms to the oven bake tray too if you would like more vegetables.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 715mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 38.8% | Vitamin C: 21.7% | Calcium: 10.5% | Iron: 16%